Kerala is renowned for its love of whisky, especially premium Indian single malts like Amrut. Amrut distillery, located in Bangalore, produces some of the finest single malt whiskies in Asia and their products are highly sought after in Kerala. In this article, we will look at the latest Amrut whisky price list in Kerala for 2023.
An Overview of Amrut Whisky
Amrut Distilleries is a family-owned company that was founded in 1948. However, they only began producing single malt whisky in 2004, making them one of India’s first single malt whisky producers.
The name ‘Amrut’ means ‘nectar of the gods’ in Sanskrit. True to its name, Amrut whiskies have won numerous accolades and awards at international spirits competitions. Their most famous expression is the Amrut Fusion, a blend of single malts matured in ex-bourbon and ex-sherry casks.
All Amrut whiskies are distilled from Indian 6-row barley grown at the foothills of the Himalayas. The local barley imparts a unique flavor profile not found in Scotch whiskies. Amrut matures its spirit in Bangalore at 3000 feet above sea level, resulting in rapid maturation due to temperature fluctuations. This allows the whisky to retain robust flavors and distinctive notes.
Now let’s take a look at Amrut’s range of whiskies and their prices in Kerala for 2023.
Amrut Indian Single Malt Whisky Price List in Kerala for 2023
Here is the latest price list for Amrut’s core range of single malt whiskies in Kerala for 2023:
|Price in Kerala
|Amrut Indian Single Malt
|Amrut Cask Strength
|Amrut Peated Indian Single Malt
|Amrut Spectrum 004
The prices are reflective of 2023 and may change depending on location and store. Here’s a detailed overview of each expression and its pricing:
Amrut Indian Single Malt
- The entry-level single malt from Amrut Distillery
- Matured in ex-bourbon barrels
- Fruity, vanilla, and spicy palette
- 750ml – ₹4500
- A blend of single malts aged in ex-bourbon and ex-sherry casks
- Award-winning, globally renowned whisky
- The perfect balance of sweet and spicy notes
- 750ml – ₹5500
Amrut Cask Strength
- Uncut, unfiltered single malt bottled at 61.8% ABV
- Intense flavors of fruit, chocolate, and oak
- Considered Amrut’s flagship whisky
- 750ml – ₹7000
Amrut Peated Indian Single Malt
- Heavily peated malt matured in ex-bourbon barrels
- Notes of smoke, spice, and vanilla
- Popular with Islay whisky drinkers
- 750ml – ₹5500
- Aged in port pipes after maturation in bourbon barrels
- Rich, fruity flavors and syrupy texture
- Limited annual release
- 750ml – ₹12,000
Amrut Spectrum 004
- Produced using 4 different barley varieties
- Complex flavors and textures
- Only 324 bottles were released worldwide
- 750ml – ₹22,000
Factors Affecting Amrut Whisky Prices in Kerala
Amrut whisky prices in Kerala are dependent on several factors:
Taxes: Kerala has steep alcohol taxes which significantly increase prices compared to other states. Import duties and GST also contribute to higher retail costs.
Rarity: Limited edition and cask strength Amrut releases are harder to source and command premium pricing.
Location: Prices vary across districts in Kerala. Urban areas like Kochi, Trivandrum, and Calicut see higher demand and prices.
Resellers/Grey Market: Independent bottle shops and duty-free shops may offer lower prices than state-run BEVCO outlets.
Seasons: Prices tend to increase during peak tourist seasons when demand goes up.
Dollar Exchange Rate: Since Amrut imports ex-bourbon casks, changes in foreign exchange rates affect production costs.
Buying Original Amrut Whisky in Kerala
With the rising demand for Amrut whiskies in Kerala, consumers need to be wary of fake or counterfeit bottles. Here are some tips for buying original Amrut whisky:
- Purchase only from licensed, reputable liquor stores such as BEVCO or duty-free outlets.
- Check the bottle cap and label for spelling errors that indicate fakes.
- Look for the blue wax seal on corked bottles from Amrut.
- Scan the QR code on the label to authenticate and identify the batch.
- Compare the price to MRP rates published by Amrut Distilleries.
- Check bottles for signs of tampering, low fill levels, or particles.
- Only buy unopened bottles sealed with intact paper strips.
- Avoid offers that seem too good to be true on pricing.
The Rising Popularity of Amrut Whiskies in Kerala
Amrut Distilleries has cultivated a dedicated fan following in Kerala. The tropical climate of Kerala allows whisky enthusiasts to enjoy Amrut’s flavorsome and unchill filtered malts at their ideal temperature.
The use of Indian barley distinguishes Amrut from imported Scotch whiskies that dominate the Indian market. There is a sense of national pride associated with drinking a world-class homegrown single malt.
Keralites also admire how a family-run distillery revived India’s whisky heritage and put the country on the global whisky map by winning prestigious international awards.
In recent years, Amrut has invested heavily in branding, marketing, and distribution in Kerala. The brand often conducts tasting sessions and events to educate consumers about single malts. Their availability across more retail outlets has made these premium whiskies more accessible.
As a result, Amrut is set to continue its strong sales momentum and brand loyalty in Kerala for 2023 and beyond. Whisky aficionados eagerly await each new limited batch release which sells out swiftly in the state. For malt lovers, Amrut’s capacities and accolades have cemented it as the iconic Indian single malt brand.
Rates of Other Whisky Brands In Kerala
Signature Whisky Price in Kerala