Chivas Regal is one of the most popular and renowned Scotch whisky brands in India and worldwide. It has a rich legacy of over 200 years and is known for its premium blended Scotch whiskies. In India, Chivas Regal whiskies are imported and distributed by Pernod Ricard India. The prices of Chivas Regal vary across different states due to different tax rates and prices set by authorized distributors and retailers. Here is an overview of the latest Chivas Regal price list in India for 2023.
An Introduction to Chivas Regal
Chivas Regal traces its origins back to 1801 when brothers James and John Chivas opened a grocery store in Aberdeen, Scotland. They began blending and selling whiskies which became popular for their quality and taste. The Chivas Brothers company was formally established in 1842 and pioneered the concept of luxury Scotch whisky blending.
Some key facts about the Chivas Regal brand:
- It is one of the world’s first luxury Scotch whisky brands.
- The iconic Chivas Regal 12-Year-Old was introduced in 1909.
- The brand is strongly associated with style, substance, and exclusivity.
- It sells a range of Prestige whiskies aged up to 25 years.
- Chivas Regal 12-Year-Old is the flagship blend and one of the world’s top-selling Scotch whiskies.
- It has royal warrants from Queen Elizabeth II and the Prince of Wales.
- The brand is part of Pernod Ricard, the world’s second-largest wine and spirits company.
Over the decades, Chivas Regal blended Scotch whiskies have become extremely popular in India due to their smooth, rich taste profile. The brand has also associated itself with luxury, prestige and premium events in India which has enhanced its aspirational value.
State-Wise Chivas Regal Price List in India
Here is an overview of the latest Chivas Regal prices (MRP) in different states across India for a 750 ml bottle:
In Delhi, the Chivas Regal 12-Year-Old 750 ml bottle is priced at Rs 2,800. The higher-aged variants like Chivas Regal 18 Year Old and 25 Year Old are usually available at select liquor stores and 5-star hotels.
Mumbai has one of the highest liquor prices in India due to high state taxes. Here, the Chivas Regal 12-Year-Old 750 ml bottle retails at Rs 3,780. The 18 and 25-year-old expressions are priced higher between Rs 8,000 to Rs 20,000 approx.
In UP, Chivas Regal is priced at Rs 3,100 for the 12-year-old regular bottle. The premium 18 and 25-year-old bottles can cost above Rs 7,000 based on the retail store.
The Chivas Regal 12-Year-Old 750 ml bottle price in Kolkata is Rs 5,400 (approx.). The 18 and 25-year-old variants are usually available at 5-star hotels and premium liquor stores.
Chivas Regal 12-Year-Old 750 ml bottle price in Punjab is Rs 2,400 (approx.). Again, the older 18 and 25-year expressions are rarer and costlier.
In Bangalore, Karnataka, Chivas Regal 12 Year Old bottle comes at a steep MRP of Rs 8,740 due to higher state taxes. The 15, 18 and 25-Year-Old bottles are sold selectively at higher prices.
In Hyderabad, Telangana, Chivas Regal 12-Year-Old 750 ml bottle costs around Rs 3,615 which is lower than in Bangalore. The 18 Year Old can cost above Rs 6,500.
In Kerala, Chivas Regal 12 Year Old bottle price is Rs 1,690 making it among the cheapest in India. The higher-aged Chivas bottles are usually not available here.
Goa levies high taxes on imported liquor which makes Chivas Regal pricey. A 750 ml bottle of 12-year-old costs around Rs 8,500 in Goa. The 18 and 25-year-olds are selectively available at premium retail stores.
In Haryana, Chivas Regal 12-Year-Old 750 ml bottle price is Rs 3,300. Premium expressions like 18-year-olds can cost above Rs 7,000 based on location and taxes.
In Pune, Maharashtra, the Chivas Regal 12-Year-Old 750 ml bottle price is around Rs 3,500. 18-year-old can be available at some premium liquor stores for over Rs 8,000 (approx.)
Gurgaon, like Delhi, sees Chivas Regal’s 12-year-old bottle retail for Rs 3,300. Being a major corporate hub, the premium variants are more easily available here.
In Assam, the Chivas Regal 12-year-old 750 ml bottle also retails at around Rs 3,300 like in neighboring states. However, the availability of premium variants is limited here.
In Jaipur, Rajasthan, Chivas Regal 12-Year-Old 750 ml bottle price is Rs 3,110 making it reasonably priced. Premium Chivas expressions can be found at some hotels and liquor stores.
In Odisha, the Chivas Regal 12-Year-Old 750 ml bottle price is around Rs 2,600 making it quite affordable. However, higher-aged bottles are not commonly available here.
The Chivas Regal 12-Year-Old 750 ml bottle price in Chennai, Tamil Nadu is Rs. 3,260. The 18 and 25-year-olds are selectively available in Chennai at 5-star hotels.
The above prices can vary by a few hundred rupees across locations depending on the taxes and retailer margins. Do note that Chivas Regal 18-Year-Old (750 ml) can approximately cost between Rs 5,000 – Rs 8,000 in most places where available. The 25-year-old is even rarer and can cost Rs 12,000 to Rs 22,000 based on shop availability.
Factors Affecting Chivas Regal Prices in India
There are several factors that influence the retail prices of Chivas Regal bottles across the country:
- Import Duties – Chivas Regal is imported to India which attracts high import duties of 150% approx. This significantly increases the base price.
- State Taxes – Alcoholic beverages attract state taxes like VAT, excise duty, etc. ranging from 15% to 80% which varies across different states.
- Distributor Margins – Pernod Ricard sells to local distributors who also add their profit margins.
- Retailer Margins – Shops and liquor stores further add their own margins to the pricing.
- Premium Pricing – Chivas Regal positions itself as a premium Scotch whisky brand which enables premium pricing across variants.
- Whisky Age – Older-aged Chivas whiskies like the 18 Year Old and 25 Year Old cost significantly more than the 12 Year Old standard expression.
- Location – Prices are higher at 5-star hotels, airport duty-free, and premium liquor stores.
Due to these factors, Chivas Regal prices vary widely from state to state. For consumers, the 18 and 25-year-old bottlings are positioned as luxury whiskies and sold at premium prices. The 12-year-old Chivas Regal remains the most popular and affordable expression across India.
Price Trends for Chivas Regal in India
Over the years, Chivas Regal prices have gradually increased in India due to inflation and revised pricing policies:
- A 750 ml bottle of Chivas Regal 12-Year-Old cost approximately Rs 1,800 to Rs 2,200 back in 2015 across India.
- By 2020, prices had gone up from Rs 2,500 to Rs 3,500 for the same 12-year-old expression.
- In 2022, prices went up further by 10%-15% in line with overall inflation affecting imported liquors.
- In 2023, expect prices to increase marginally by 4%-6% due to import duty, forex rate, and packaging cost impacts.
- However, the magnitude of price hikes varies across different states based on respective tax rates and pricing controls.
- The premium Chivas 18 and 25-year-old expressions have seen even steeper price rises due to their rarity and luxury positioning.
Going forward, expect Chivas Regal prices to continue seeing incremental annual rises of 5%-15% depending on various cost factors for imported Scotch whisky in India. However, it’s pricing power comes from the aspirational brand value and loyal consumer base accrued over decades in India.
How to Buy Chivas Regal at the Best Price?
Here are some tips to buy Chivas Regal bottles at the best price in your city:
- Opt for the most commonly available Chivas 12-Year-Old expression for affordability.
- Check liquor stores in duty-free airports to save on local taxes.
- Look for discounts or offers, especially on occasions like Diwali or New Year.
- Avoid 5-star hotels and premium liquor chains to reduce markups.
- Scout reputed local liquor shops for competitive pricing.
- Buying older bottles directly from collectors may offer rare expressions at fair pricing.
- Purchase during sale seasons when discounts are offered by retailers.
- Buying full bottles allows more savings compared to buying by the peg.
- Online liquor delivery apps also offer periodic discounts, cashback, and coupons.
So in summary, avoid very high-end stores, explore regular as well as duty-free markets, look out for deals, and buy the 12YO expression for the best savings on Chivas Regal in 2023 in India. With local taxes and pricing differing so much across states, do compare prices before buying Chivas bottles.
Summarizing the Price Range of Chivas Regal Expressions in 2023
|Chivas Regal Variant
|Usual Price Range in India (750 ml)
|Chivas 12 Year Old
|Rs. 2,600 – Rs. 3,800
|Chivas 15 Year Old
|Rs. 5,500 – Rs. 8,500
|Chivas 18 Year Old
|Rs. 7,000 – Rs. 10,000
|Chivas 21 Year Old
|Rs. 14,000 – Rs. 22,000
|Chivas 25 Year Old
|Rs. 15,000 – Rs. 25,000
The above provides an approximate overview of the price brackets for Chivas Regal core range expressions in the Indian market. Obviously, there are outliers in terms of MRPs charged by certain retailers, especially for the ultra-premium 18, 21, and 25-year-old malts which can go even higher.
Should You Buy Chivas Regal in India?
Here are some pros and cons to consider about buying Chivas Regal whisky in India:
- Strong brand legacy and high brand recall amongst consumers.
- The taste profile tends to appeal to the Indian palate. Smooth and easy to drink taste.
- Chivas 12 Year Old is accessible and affordable for a blended Scotch whisky.
- Higher-aged malts have prestige value and are considered a luxury.
- Easily available across most Indian states and retail stores.
- Imported pricing makes it much costlier than domestic whiskies.
- Significant state-wise price variations due to taxes.
- Not the most cost-efficient option for a 12-year-old Scotch blend.
- Older age expressions are very expensive and rare.
So for most regular consumers, the Chivas Regal 12-Year-Old offers the best value. It delivers a smooth, easy-drinking Scotch with the prestige of a luxury brand. The pricier ultra-premium expressions like the 18, 21, and 25-year-old malts are meant for collectors and connoisseurs. In summary, Chivas Regal makes for a fine gifting option and versatile Scotch for enjoying neat or with soda/cocktails. Its brand cachet and familiar taste underline its popularity at social occasions, parties, and events for the discerning Indian consumer.
In this detailed guide, we have covered the latest Chivas Regal price list in India state-wise and for different age expressions. While prices vary significantly due to taxation differences, the 12-year-old Chivas Regal remains the most affordable and value-driven option. The core aspects affecting Chivas Regal pricing in India are taxes, premium positioning, older whisky aging, and retail margins among others. Consumers need to smartly choose the right retail channel to buy Chivas Regal bottles at the best rates. Overall, Chivas Regal enjoys strong aspirational equity amongst Indian Scotch lovers and continues to be widely available despite its pricing varying so much across the country.