As a whisky enthusiast living in Mumbai, I’m always on the lookout for the best prices on my favorite single malt – Glenmorangie. This smooth, elegant Scotch whisky from the Highlands has become quite popular in India over the last few years. In this article, I’ll provide an updated 2023 price list for Glenmorangie’s core range in Mumbai along with some background on this distillery and my tasting notes.
About Glenmorangie Distillery
Glenmorangie distillery is located in the Scottish Highlands, overlooking the Moray Firth. It’s one of the tallest stills in Scotland at over 26 feet high which allows only the lightest and purest vapors to ascend. Glenmorangie pioneered extra-maturation in whisky by offering special wood-finished expressions like Lasanta and Quinta Ruban starting in the 1990s.
Some fun facts about Glenmorangie:
- Founded in 1843, it’s one of the oldest whisky distilleries in Scotland.
- They use spring water from Tarlogie Springs in their whisky, known for its soft, pure character.
- Glenmorangie translates to “valley of tranquility” in Gaelic.
- Their stills are the tallest in Scotland at 26’3″ feet high. Tall stills preserve delicate flavors.
- Glenmorangie was purchased by luxury goods conglomerate LVMH in 2004.
Overview of Core Glenmorangie Expressions
Here is a brief overview of the 3 core whiskies I will compare prices for below:
The Original 10 Years – This is Glenmorangie’s signature whisky, aged for 10 years in ex-bourbon casks. It’s light, fruity, and delicately creamy.
The Lasanta 12 Years – Aged for 10 years in bourbon barrels then finished in oloroso sherry casks for 2 years. Adds a lovely sherry sweetness.
The 18 Years – Glenmorangie’s oldest core expression, spending 15 years in bourbon barrels and 3 years in oloroso sherry casks. Rich and intensely flavored.
Next, let’s get into the Mumbai prices!
Glenmorangie Whisky Price In Mumbai [Updated 2023]
Here is a comparison table of prices at top liquor shops for Glenmorangie’s core range in Mumbai as of August 2023:
|Brand + Volume
|Cost of (750ml) Glenmorangie 18 Years Whisky
|Cost of (750ml) Glenmorangie The Original 10 Years Whisky
|Cost of (750ml) Glenmorangie The Lasanta 12 Years Whisky
As you can see, Glenmorangie 18 Years commands the highest price as the oldest and most premium whisky in the core range. But even the base 10 Years expression fetches a respectable price – not cheap but worth it for the smooth, fruity Highland character.
Below is some additional context around the prices:
- Prices are highest at premium liquor stores like Living Liquidz and Sam’s Wine & Spirits.
- Mass retail chains like Wine Park offer the lowest prices, but selection is limited.
- There are always slight variations in prices across shops based on volume discounts, taxes, etc.
- Prices tend to climb over time as demand increases and supplies become constrained.
- Seasonal discounts around Diwali can drop prices 10-15% lower than the rates above.
Tasting Notes & Recommendations
Based on my tastings, here are some quick tasting notes and recommendations on which Glenmorangie expression offers the best value:
The Original 10 Years – Light, apple, vanilla. Easy-drinking and affordable for an everyday dram.
The Lasanta 12 Years – My favorite – silky with baked apple and orange zest flavors. Worth the step up in price.
The 18 Years – A special occasion luxury malt. Intense dried fruits and chocolate with a long finish.
For whisky lovers in Mumbai, I highly recommend picking up a bottle of the Lasanta 12 Years to enjoy Glenmorangie’s smooth, fruity spirit with some added complexity from the sherry cask finishing. At around ₹11,500, it’s priced at a premium but offers an outstanding single malt experience. Slàinte!
Rates of Other Whisky Brands In Mumbai