Imperial Blue is one of the most popular whisky brands in India. This classic blend of Indian grain spirits and imported Scotch malts has a distinctive taste and smooth finish that makes it a favorite for whisky lovers across the country. In the state of Kerala too, Imperial Blue commands a loyal following.
Kerala, located on the southwestern coast of India, is a major market for alcoholic beverages including whisky. The state has a sizeable population that enjoys social drinking. Imperial Blue whisky is widely available across all major cities and towns in Kerala.
In this article, we take a close look at the latest Imperial Blue whisky price list in Kerala in 2023. We provide a detailed breakup of Imperial Blue prices for various pack sizes that are commonly retailed in the state. Read on to find out Imperial Blue Whisky rates near you in Kerala.
Overview of Imperial Blue Whisky
Imperial Blue is an Indian whisky brand owned by Pernod Ricard, a French alcoholic beverage company. It was launched in the late 1990s and has grown to become one of the largest-selling whisky brands in the country today.
Some key facts about Imperial Blue:
- Made from a blend of grain spirits and imported Scotch malts aged in oak barrels
- Smooth, medium-bodied taste with hints of honey, spice and fruit
- Classic old-world whisky character with a distinctive Imperial Blue logo
- Available in multiple pack sizes – 180 ml, 375 ml, 750 ml, and 1 liter
- Affordable premium segment whisky brand
- Targeted at social and casual drinkers aged between 25-40 years
- Strong advertising and marketing campaigns over the years
- Endorsed by leading actors like Shah Rukh Khan in the past
- Manufactured at Pernod Ricard’s bottling units across India
Imperial Blue’s affordable pricing along with smart branding and promotion has made it highly popular amongst regular whisky drinkers in India. It dominates the lower premium segment in the Indian whisky market today.
Imperial Blue Price in Kerala 2023
Let us now look at the latest Imperial Blue whisky price list in Kerala for 2023:
Imperial Blue Whisky Price List in Kerala 2023
|Price in Rupees
The above prices are revised for 2023 and applicable across all major cities like Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram, Kozhikode, Kollam, Thrissur, and others in Kerala. The prices are inclusive of all taxes and retail margins. Some key things to note:
- 1000 ml – The 1-litre pack or quart bottle is the regular large pack for Imperial Blue. It offers the best value for money for bulk purchases. In Kerala, the 1 liter Imperial Blue bottle is priced at Rs. 1450 approximately.
- 750 ml – The 750 ml pack is the standard whisky retail bottle. In Kerala, a 750 ml bottle of Imperial Blue comes for around Rs. 1100. This is the most commonly purchased pack.
- 375 ml – The 375 ml is a smaller handy pack. It is easier to carry around and consume. The MRP for 375 ml Imperial Blue in Kerala is about Rs. 650.
- 180 ml – The 180 ml pack is a miniature bottle, meant for a single serve. It is available in wine shops for around Rs. 310 in Kerala. Quite popular.
- 90 ml – The nip size 90 ml bottle is also available in some locations, primarily meant for airline duty-free sales. In Kerala, it comes to roughly Rs. 170.
In addition to the above pack sizes, some specialty packs like 2-litre party packs are also available during festive seasons. There can be slight variation (+/- Rs. 10-20) in prices across locations within Kerala. Overall, these are the prevailing prices for Imperial Blue whisky in the state as of 2023.
Factors Affecting Imperial Blue Prices in Kerala
Imperial Blue whisky prices in Kerala are impacted by a combination of national and state-level factors:
National Level Factors
- Import duty rates on Scotch malts used in the blend
- Base grain spirit pricing set by parent company Pernod Ricard
- Central excise duty and cess on whisky
- Impact of inflation and currency rates
State Level Factors
- Kerala state excise duty on whisky
- Retail margins set by Kerala State Beverages Corporation
- Local taxes and cess imposed by state govt
- Transportation, distribution, and dealer margins
- Kerala goes through periods of prohibition which affects the supply
Imperial Blue is positioned as an affordable premium whisky brand across India. Pernod Ricard tries to keep its price point stable at a level that appeals to its target younger consumers with modest disposable incomes. However, changes in taxation and input costs do result in price revisions from time to time.
In Kerala specifically, periodical increases in state excise duty and local taxes have caused upward movement in Imperial Blue prices over the years. Prohibition also leads to a temporary shortfall in supply. However, given the strong brand equity and loyal consumer base of Imperial Blue in the state, demand remains stable despite price hikes.
How to Buy Imperial Blue Whisky in Kerala at Best Price?
Here are some tips to buy Imperial Blue at the best price in Kerala:
- Opt for the 1 liter (quart) pack for maximum savings
- Check liquor rates across outlets before purchasing
- Buy during occasional discounts or sales
- Purchase from wholesale outlets or duty-free shops whenever possible
- Explore online options to get attractive discounts and offers
- Travel to neighboring states with lower liquor rates (during legal transport limit)
- Avoid smaller packs (like 90 ml or 180 ml) for regular consumption
Consumers must ensure they buy Imperial Blue only from licensed and authorized retail outlets in their respective cities in Kerala. Do not purchase illegally sourced or smuggled liquor, as it can be hazardous.
Imperial Blue Whisky Prices in Other Major Cities
For comparison, here is a look at prevailing Imperial Blue price points in some other major cities:
Rates vary across cities based on the respective state’s excise duty structure and local taxes. Kerala has relatively higher liquor rates. Cities like Hyderabad and Chennai have lower prices due to tax differences. Delhi used to be cheaper but prices have gone up in recent times.
Price Trends Over the Years
Taking a longer-term view, Imperial Blue whisky prices in Kerala have gradually increased over the past decade due to periodic excise duty hikes and inflationary pressures. However, the rate of price increase has been moderate, especially compared to premium segment whisky brands.
For instance, between 2012 to 2022, the Kerala government increased excise duty on IMFL (Indian Made Foreign Liquor) from around 115% to nearly 210% currently. However, smart pricing and promotional strategies have helped Imperial Blue whisky remain accessible and affordable for regular consumers in Kerala, preventing a sharp surge in its prices.
|1 Litre Price in Kerala
|Annual % Price Change
Considering its positioning, Imperial Blue has displayed pricing resilience and continues to offer value for regular drinkers even today. Its pack sizes and price points are well-aligned to consumer needs in Kerala.
Future Outlook on Prices
Going forward in 2023, Imperial Blue prices in Kerala are expected to remain rangebound, with minor periodic revisions driven by changes in taxation and input costs. No major spikes are anticipated unless there are very steep hikes in central or state levies.
Imperial Blue parent Pernod Ricard India has a strategic interest in keeping the brand affordable in the Kerala market, where it enjoys high brand loyalty. While cheaper segments may be impacted by rising inflation or liquor taxes, Imperial Blue is expected to hold its ground due to its strong brand image and consumer connection.
However, unexpected regulatory or policy-level changes may warrant tactical price changes by the company. Overall, Imperial Blue whisky is projected to offer good value for money to regular drinkers in the Kerala market in the short to medium term.
In this article, we have provided a detailed examination of prevailing Imperial Blue whisky prices across various pack sizes in Kerala for 2023. Consumers can use this price list as a ready reckoner when purchasing Imperial Blue from their neighborhood liquor store or outlet.
Imperial Blue continues to maintain its accessibility and value positioning as an affordable premium whisky brand in the growing Kerala liquor market. With its smooth taste, smart packaging, and strong branding, it promises to retain its popularity and loyalty amongst regular whisky drinkers in the state.