Uttar Pradesh, the most populous state in India, is a key market for alcoholic beverages like whisky. Imperial Blue, manufactured by Pernod Ricard, is one of the most popular whisky brands in UP, known for its economical pricing and easy availability. In this article, we will look at the latest Imperial Blue whisky rates in UP as of August 2023.
Overview of Imperial Blue Whisky
Imperial Blue is a standard Indian whisky, made from molasses. It was launched in 1997 and quickly became a hit among liquor consumers in North India due to its affordable price point. The brand is owned by Pernod Ricard India and manufactured at their Behror, Rajasthan facility.
Imperial Blue is available in three sizes – 180 ml, 375 ml, and 750 ml. It has an alcohol content of 42.8%. The whisky has a mild and smooth taste profile with hints of honey and spice flavors. Imperial Blue is predominantly consumed with water or soda.
The brand focuses on reaching a wide consumer base with competitive pricing. Imperial Blue whisky prices are quite economical compared to other whisky brands in the same segment like Royal Stag, Blenders Pride, etc. This pricing strategy has helped Imperial Blue become the 2nd largest whisky brand in India after Bagpiper.
Imperial Blue Price List in UP (August 2023)
Here are the latest Imperial Blue whisky rates in Uttar Pradesh as of August 2023:
|Price in UP
The above prices can vary in different parts of the state depending on local taxes and supply conditions.
- In NCR cities like Noida, Ghaziabad, and Greater Noida, the prices are usually at the lower end.
- In smaller towns and rural areas, the rates could be 5-10% higher due to additional transportation costs.
- During certain times of the year such as festivals when demand surges, prices can be higher than MRP.
- Imperial Blue 180 ml bottle is the most popular pack size due to its affordable pricing. It’s the highest-selling SKU.
- The 750 ml pack is preferred by regular drinkers as it offers better value for money.
- Pint (375 ml) bottle is convenient for occasional drinking or trial.
Price Comparison With Other Whisky Brands
Let’s also compare Imperial Blue rates with other whisky brands in a similar price segment:
|180 ml Price
|375 ml Price
|750 ml Price
So Imperial Blue is competitively priced against the key brands in its segment. It is cheaper than Royal Stag, Blenders Pride, and Haywards across all pack sizes. The only brand that is cheaper than Imperial Blue is Bagpiper.
However, Imperial Blue still enjoys a better brand image and perception than Bagpiper. So for consumers who want a balance of affordable pricing and better taste/quality, Imperial Blue offers the best value.
Factors Affecting Imperial Blue Prices in UP
Imperial Blue whisky prices in UP are dependent on several factors:
- State Excise Duties – UPSMD (Uttar Pradesh State Marketing Development Corporation Ltd) regulates liquor prices in the state. Any changes in excise duty directly impacts the retail price.
- Raw material costs – Key raw materials used to manufacture whisky like molasses and packaging materials have seen inflation recently which can push up prices.
- Demand-supply scenario – If there’s high demand during a given period, retailers tend to charge higher than MRP which hikes the effective price.
- Location – Transportation costs and local taxes result in variances in prices between urban and rural areas.
Price Trends in the Last 12 Months
Imperial Blue’s prices have remained quite stable in Uttar Pradesh in the last 12 months without any major fluctuations. There have been no changes in UPSMD’s minimum retail prices for IMFL (Indian Made Foreign Liquor) during this period.
In February 2022, UPSMD did announce a 2% hike in excise duty which led to a slight increase in prices across all liquor categories. However, the impact was quite minimal with 180 ml Imperial Blue price going from ₹135 to ₹140 in some places after the duty change.
Future Outlook on Prices
Going forward in 2023, Imperial Blue prices are expected to remain firm without any major corrections or hikes in the short to medium term.
UP government is focused on increasing excise revenue from liquor sales. However, frequent excise duty hikes also encourage illicit trade which is a huge concern. So the state is taking a balanced approach.
Moreover, this popular economy segment whisky is less impacted by inflationary pressures compared to premium brands. Hence, Imperial Blue will likely maintain competitive pricing in line with other regular whiskies.
Any changes in taxation or input costs will only lead to a marginal price increase of 5-10% at max. But no steep hikes are anticipated given the price-sensitive nature of the segment.
As one of India’s top whisky brands, Imperial Blue has carved a niche in UP’s liquor market with its affordable pricing. For regular and first-time whisky consumers, Imperial Blue offers the ideal balance of value, taste, and quality.
With availability across the state through the extensive distribution network, Imperial Blue’s competitive pricing is expected to remain stable in the coming months. This will sustain the brand’s popularity and high sales volumes in the price-sensitive UP market.
Rates of Other Whisky Brands In Utter Pradesh