Lagavulin whisky is one of the most renowned single-malt Scotch whiskies in the world. Known for its rich, smoky, and peaty flavor, Lagavulin has a cult following among whisky enthusiasts. In this article, we will look at the latest prices of various Lagavulin expressions in the USA market for 2023.
Overview of Lagavulin Whisky
Lagavulin distillery is located on the island of Islay in Scotland. The distillery was founded in 1816 by John Johnston and has been in continuous production since. Lagavulin is one of the classic Islay malts with an intense peat smoke character derived from the malting process.
Lagavulin uses unpeated as well as peated barley in its malt whisky production. The pear-shaped pot stills and the slow distillation help concentrate the smoky notes in the spirit. The whisky is matured for long years in ex-bourbon as well as sherry casks which further enhance the depth of flavors.
Some of the most popular Lagavulin expressions include the 8 Years Old, 16 Years Old, Distiller’s Edition finished in Pedro Ximénez casks, 12 Years Old Cask Strength, and limited edition releases like the 25 Years Old and 37 Years Old.
Lagavulin Whisky Prices in the USA 2023
Here is an overview of the latest prices of Lagavulin whisky in 750ml bottles across popular online liquor stores in the USA as of August 2023:
1. Lagavulin 8 Years Old
- Average Price: $65.99
- The standard Lagavulin 8 Years Old single malt has a smoky, medicinal, and salty coastal character. Matured only in ex-bourbon casks, it has bold peat flavors and dry finish.
2. Lagavulin 16 Years Old
- Average Price: $107.99
- The 16 year old is Lagavulin’s flagship expression. Aged in ex-bourbon and sherry casks, it has signature smoke along with dried fruits and vanilla notes. Often considered the definitive Islay single malt.
3. Lagavulin Distiller’s Edition
- Average Price: $119.99
- This expression is finished in Pedro Ximénez sherry casks imparting notes of raisins, brown sugar, and figs. The sherry complements the peaty base of Lagavulin.
4. Lagavulin 12 Years Old Cask Strength
- Average Price: $142.99
- Bottled at cask strength without chill-filtration, this 12-year-old expression packs a punch with an alcohol strength of 56.5% ABV. Intense peat and sea spray aromas.
5. Lagavulin 25 Years Old
- Average Price: $1265.99
- A rare offering, the 25-year-old Lagavulin is a luxurious sipper with great depth. Matured in sherry and bourbon casks, it shows dried fruit sweetness balancing the peat.
6. Lagavulin 37 Years Old
- Average Price: $2999
- The oldest official bottling from Lagavulin distillery. Only 174 bottles were produced of this extremely rare single malt. The epitome of aged Islay whisky.
Factors Affecting Lagavulin Whisky Prices
- Age – Older the expression, the higher is the price tag. Age adds depth, complexity, and rarity.
- ABV – Bottlings with higher alcohol strength like cask strength versions command a premium.
- Cask Type – Sherry cask-finished or matured whiskies are priced higher than bourbon cask ones.
- Limited Releases – Special editions in limited quantities fetch very high prices.
- Taxes – Alcohol taxes in the US and state-specific regulations impact retail pricing.
- Demand vs Supply – Popular Lagavulin expressions often see a price hike due to high demand.
Where to Buy Lagavulin Whisky in the USA?
- Online – Most online liquor stores like Wine-Searcher, Drizly, and ReserveBar ship Lagavulin across the USA. Compare prices and shipping costs.
- Retail Stores – Check premium liquor retailers, especially ones with wide Scotch selections. Limited editions may sell out fast.
- Auctions – Rare and vintage Lagavulin bottles are often sold via online auctions. Be wary of fakes.
- Distillery Shop – The Lagavulin distillery shop sells many exclusive bottlings which are hard to find elsewhere.
- Travel Retail – Airport Duty-Free shops have competitive pricing on Lagavulin expressions due to lower taxes.
So if you are looking to buy Lagavulin whisky in the USA, use this price guide to understand the latest costs of various expressions. Check multiple stores to find the best deals. And enjoy responsibly this classic richly peated Islay single malt!